1. Have you ever had a time in your life when you witnessed something that made you believe in the supernatural?
2. If you saw something you couldn’t explain, what would you need to be able to believe that God was behind it?
Preparing to Read:
The Old Testament is full of prophecies about the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Tonight we are going to look at one of the most famous. Almost 700 years before Jesus walked the earth the prophecy contained in Isaiah 52 & 53 is so explicit that it has caused many people to nickname it “the fifth gospel.”
Read Isaiah 52:13 – 53:12
3. Verse 2 describes the suffering servant of God as having nothing that would attract us to him. Why might it have been in the plan of God to raise up someone that people weren’t naturally drawn to?
4. Why do you think God doesn’t just reveal Himself to everyone and get rid of any room for doubt?
5. The words in verses 4-6 describe someone being killed and while it is happening, people think that person is being judged by God all the while not knowing that he is actually dying for their sin.
If you were present at the cross of Jesus and did not know what you know now, do you think you would have believed in Jesus? Why?
6. Why do you think Israel did not believe in Jesus? What were they expecting the Messiah to be like?
7. Read Isaiah 53:7 again and Matthew 26:62-63.
Why do you think Jesus chose not to open his mouth and defend himself against the charges that were made about him? What can this tell us about the type of person He is?
8. Read Isaiah 53:9 and Matthew 27:56-61.
Isaiah not only prophesied Jesus’ death but also the way he would be buried. Why do you think God spoke all these details in advance?
9. Verse 10 describes God prolonging the days of the suffering servant even though he has already died. Literally the idea is that even though the person has died, God will give them a long life on the earth.
Why do you think the idea of Jesus’ resurrection is just as important as His death?
10. If you consider yourself a Christian, why do you believe in the resurrection of Jesus?